USF to hire West Virginia’s Trickett as offensive coordinator

Trickett will take over a USF offense that has finished outside the FBS top 100 in total offense and pass efficiency for two consecutive years. WVU ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF football has reportedly found its new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in West Virginia’s tight ends coach Travis Trickett. He will replace Charlie Weis Jr. who opted to leave for the same position at Ole Miss.

While it has yet to be announced by the university, reports of Trickett’s hiring first surfaced Jan. 8 from ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg and 247Sports’ Mike Casazza and Will Turner.

Trickett posted a farewell tweet to the Mountaineer program Sunday night which was followed the next day by a tweet teasing his move to Tampa.

He spent three seasons at West Virginia working under coach Neal Brown with the tight ends and inside receivers. While there, he helped receiver Winston Wright Jr. become an All-Big 12 Second Team selection.

Before joining the Mountaineers, Trickett had plenty of experience working as a coordinator at Samford, FAU and Georgia State. 

During his time at Georgia State, Trickett led an impressive offensive attack that broke multiple school records including the fewest interceptions in a season (9), yards in a single game (670) and points against an FBS opponent (47).

Trickett will now join recently hired defensive coordinator Bob Shoop as the newest members of coach Jeff Scott’s staff ahead of the spring season.