T-Murph delivers humor, engaging performance at in-person comedy show

The comedian performed a series of unfiltered jokes to over 350 students at the Stampede Comedy Show on Monday night. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Kicking off the first in-person Homecoming Week since 2019, comedian T-Murph used his uncensored language, personal anecdotes and electric energy to provide lively humor for the crowd of students at the Stampede Comedy Show on Monday.

Students arrived as early as 6:30 p.m. for the Homecoming Kickoff and Stampede Comedy Show, which began at 8 p.m. Over 350 students were in attendance at the National Pan-Hellenic Plaza, marking the first outdoor comedy show at USF.

T-Murph wasn’t aware American Sign Language interpreters were going to be in attendance, laughing on what he would make the interpreters signalize throughout his uncensored performance.

“First of all, I didn’t know there was going to be somebody here doing sign language, so I’m going to try to make her say the wildest sh*t ever with her hands,” he said. “She’s like ‘I don’t want to do it, but I [have to] do it.’”

T-Murph joked about topics relating to pronouns and ‘wokeness,’ and the effects  that cancel culture has had on comedians in recent years. He said comedians are more limited in what they can joke about, but jokes about whatever he feels is funny at the time.

The comedian transitioned from the topic of modern comedic culture to talk about his daughter, whom he described as “super woke,” and said that while he considers himself “woke,” he sometimes struggles to keep up on what is acceptable to say.

“I walk in the bathroom one day and there’s pants laying on the ground in the bathroom … I was like, ‘Let me not jump to conclusions, let me inspect the pants.’ I check them out. I say [to my daughter,] ‘These are girl’s pants.’ Without missing a beat from the living room, she says ‘We don’t gender pants,’” he said. 

“I was like ‘Well, I’ll tell you what. I don’t give a f*ck if it’s she/her, they/them … pick your gender, and get in here and pick these pants up.’”

This joke, along with others like it, was met with a comparatively lighter reaction from the crowd, something he addressed throughout the show.

“I love how y’all got tight,” he said. “Got it, pronouns — lockup, old people — laughing.”

T-Murph also went off script, directly addressing some of the members of the crowd leaving the show before it ended, and was met with booming laughs from the crowd.

“Hey where are you going with that god damn bookbag, sit your ass down,” he said to the student. 

“You got an all-white suit on trying to sneak out, what kind of sh*t is that? We can see you, this motherf*cking angel just leaving the show. God damn Casper the Ghost going to throw his book bag on.”

Opening for T-Murph was comedian Opeyemi Olagbaju, who kicked off the show with his vulgar anecdotes and profane humor. 

Olagbaju, best known for his writing credentials on Hulu’s “I Love You, America,” talked about culture and diversity in his performance, topics which he received the most laughs from.

“I’m proud to be Nigerian. I think whoever you are, wherever you’re from, you should be proud of your heritage and … be proud of your people, as long as you’re willing to admit your people are kind of sh*tty,” he said.

“If you don’t know Nigeria, we’re classified as a developing third world country. That’s just a fancy way of saying we have running water but we don’t have a Chipotle yet.”

The chilly evening was filled with uncensored language from both comedians, and even the use of obscene language when delivering jokes on love affairs and cultural differences.

“One time I was getting my haircut and this dude walked in … and said, ‘Hey, don’t get your haircut like that. You’re gonna get your haircut like mine. Last time I got my haircut like this, I walked out and in six seconds I got 36 b*tches,’” Olagbaju said. 

“Then another dude got out of his seat and he was like, ‘Whoa, six seconds and 36 b*tches, that is six b*tches a second’ and I’m like ‘Hold up, am I in an infomercial right now?’”

The show’s engines shifted as T-Murph, whose booming voice and infectious laugh garnered a roaring response from the crowd, entered the stage. 

After briefly touching on topics such as relationships, flights and the performance of the USF football team, T-Murph delved into politics, cancel culture and the pandemic. The comedian brought up the presidential election, imitating former President Donald Trump when exemplifying his uncensored nature, while also joking about President Joe Biden’s age and anonymity during his term. 

A joke the comedian himself was at first reluctant to tell paid off well in terms of audience reception, putting a religious spin on the current issues associated with the pandemic.

“So 2020 was a big year, supposedly like a monumental year. And I was thinking to myself, what if Jesus was coming back, but then COVID hit? God was like, ‘Go here, My son,’ and Jesus looked down and saw everyone in masks and was like ‘Hell no,’” he said. 

“God was like, ‘You can go, just put a mask on’ and he’s like ‘I can’t because ain’t nobody going to notice me. They haven’t seen me in like hundreds of thousands of years.’”

To end his uncensored hour-long performance, T-Murph acknowledged the tough nature of a crowd of college students, but ultimately applauded the turnout and interactiveness of the audience.

“That’s why when I come to college comedy shows I know when I’m funny,” he said. “Because let me tell you something, if you ain’t funny, y’all will not laugh, and you also will not leave. You will sit there the whole time like ‘This person is terrible.’ 

“I have been to a lot of schools where we do comedy shows and it looks pitiful as hell. I appreciate y’all for coming and sitting outside at the comedy show. I appreciate you.”