T-Murph brings humor to Stampede Comedy Show

Comedian, actor and writer T-Murph will headline this year’s Stampede Comedy Show on Monday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Guerterrius Jackson, better known as T-Murph, and Opeyemi Olagbaju will be in charge of bringing the laughs to the Stampede Comedy Show on Monday at the National Pan-Hellenic Plaza.

Campus Activities Board announced via an Instagram post Thursday that T-Murph will be headlining the show, and Olagbaju will be the opening act. The one-hour performance will begin after the Homecoming Kickoff, starting at 6:30 p.m. and lasting about three hours. 

Olagbaju will be paid $5,000 while T-Murph’s pay couldn’t be shared since CAB is still executing the final contract, according to Student Programs Coordinator Isabelle Arroyo-Acevedo. She said the budget for Kickoff was $9,000 and $53,000 for the comedy show.

Tickets are not required for entry and there is no cap on capacity. Masks and social distancing  will be encouraged, she said. As of Oct. 29, the post received 119 likes and no comments compared to last year’s Cody Ko’s engagement of over 650 likes and about 57 comments.

T-Murph is a comedian, actor and writer who has been featured on Saturday Night Live, Comedy Central’s Kevin Hart Presents: The Next Level and Key & Peele. 

The 35-year-old comedian’s most recent role being “Clovis” on Hulu’s new series “Woke” working alongside Emmy award winner Keith Davis. He has accumulated approximately 43,000 followers on Instagram.

Olagbaju is a Los Angeles comedian, writer and actor, originally from Nigeria. He started doing stand up comedy in 2014 and since then has performed in festivals, including The World Series of Comedy and NACA showcases. He is currently a writer on “I Love You, America” on Hulu.

Arroyo-Acevedo said the purpose of having a comedy show as a part of Homecoming Week is to give a space for students to relax and have some laughs.

“Comedians, I think just bring like a very comedic … destress from the full college experience. So I think that’s a good reason to have one, and why we really bring it because again I think it’s a good opportunity for students to kind of let their guard down, relax, have a good time, but then also just build community and meet other people,” said Arroyo-Acevedo.

The comedy show, like the other events during Homecoming Week, is also a good way to reconnect with fellow Bulls and make lasting connections in the USF community, Arroyo-Acevedo said, especially since last year’s events were virtual.

“I think part of the … full week of homecoming is honestly just a celebration of the campus … and helping students understand that there’s opportunity to build community on campus,” she said.