Women’s soccer wins AAC regular-season title

The USF women’s soccer team clinched the AAC regular-season title with a 2-0 win over Temple. ORACLE PHOTO/FRANCISCO ROSA

For the fifth consecutive season, the USF women’s soccer team has won a conference  title. It clinched the AAC regular-season championship with a 2-0 win over Temple on Thursday night. 

Goals from sophomore Rosailia Munio Gonzalez and senior Meghan Cavanaugh in the 19th and 79th minute, respectively, provided the margin of victory. It was USF’s third consecutive shutout and its sixth overall of the season.

The Bulls (11-3-2, 6-1-1 AAC) have captured six titles in the last five seasons, including three regular-season titles in 2018, 2020 and 2021, and three tournament titles in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

With the regular-season title in hand, USF will have the opportunity to host the AAC Tournament semifinals that are set to take place Thursday, with the final on Nov. 7. Coach Denise Schilte-Brown and her team will also receive a first-round bye as the tournament’s top overall seed.

USF will face the winner of the match between SMU and ECU in the semifinal. 

Women’s soccer now has seven conference titles in program history, six in the AAC and one in C-USA, which came in 1998. The Bulls also now hold the second-longest streak of consecutive conference titles in USF history with five. Men’s golf won 11 straight while in the Sun Belt Conference from 1979-89.