Tsineke named to Ann Meyers-Drysdale Award watch list

Sophomore guard Elena Tsineke helped push USF to new heights as she led the team in scoring last season en route to the program’s first conference title. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF women’s basketball’s Elena Tsineke has been named to the 2022 Ann Meyers-Drysdale Award watch list. The award is given out annually to the best shooting guard in women’s college basketball. 

Tsineke, a sophomore from Thessaloniki, Greece, is one of 20 players in the nation on the list. Other standouts to make the list include UConn’s Azzi Fudd and Christyn Williams, Zia Cooke of South Carolina, Lexie Hull of Stanford and Charlisse Leger-Walker of Washington State.

Past winners of the award include Ashley Owusu, Maryland (2021); Aari McDonald, Arizona (2020); Asia Durr, Louisville (2019); and Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State (2018).

In Tsineke’s first year at USF in 2019, she was named the conference’s freshman of the year and was selected to the All-Freshman team.

In 2020, Tsineke was named to the AAC’s All-Conference First Team after leading the Bulls in scoring for the second consecutive season. She averaged 13.6 points per game, good for eighth in the conference, on 38% shooting from the field. 

Tsineke was also a preseason choice to again make the conference’s first team along with teammates Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu and Bethy Mununga.

The Bulls will tip off their season Nov. 9 at 8 p.m. against the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at the Yuengling Center. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.