Report: Prospective schools have started submitting applications to join AAC

With the rumored addition of FAU to the AAC, USF would be one of two schools from Florida in the conference once UCF joins the Big 12. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The AAC has begun receiving applications from six C-USA schools interested in joining the conference, according to a report by Yahoo’s Pete Thamel.

The prospective schools include FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB. An announcement is “expected later this week,” according to Thamel. He also said the earliest the programs can begin participating in the AAC is the 2023-24 season.

If Thamel’s reports are true, the AAC will expand to 14 football-playing schools, as well as 14 teams participating in basketball. Wichita State doesn’t have a football program, and Navy’s basketball team participates in the Patriot League, not the AAC.

The report of the additions comes weeks after it was announced Houston, UCF and Cincinnati will be leaving for the Big 12 within the coming years. Thus, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco needed to field replacements for the departing schools.

Of the reported programs, one is currently ranked in the AP Poll for football, No. 24 UTSA. The Roadrunners are 7-0 with their most recent win coming over Rice. UTSA is one of three schools from Texas being added to the AAC, meaning the conference would have four schools in the state with SMU already being a member.

Charlotte’s addition means the AAC will now feature two schools from North Carolina, as ECU is already a member, and FAU’s arrival gives USF a running mate in Florida.