USF offering COVID-19 booster shots to eligible individuals

COVID-19 booster shots will be available at USF Health and Student Health Services to eligible individuals above 65 years old, considered high-risk and those who work in the teaching profession. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

USF will begin administering COVID-19 booster shots to eligible individuals across campuses as part of its mitigation efforts to combat the virus.

Eligible individuals include those age 65 and older, considered high-risk or work in the education field. A minimum six-month gap from their last dose is also required to receive a booster shot.

The university will also be administering booster shots to eligible family members of faculty, staff and students, according to a universitywide email Monday afternoon.

“Our focus is on making sure the university community knows that booster shots are available on our campuses and through other sources across our region, and strongly encouraging everyone who is eligible to get one,” Assistant Director of Media Relations Althea Johnson said. “We expect that we’ll have enough supply to support the demand, as we have for quite some time.”

To make an appointment, USF Health patients can schedule through MyChart while other individuals must email covidvaccine@usf.edu. Student Health Services (SHS) will also offer booster shots to eligible individuals who fill out an intake form or call the SHS office.

The number of shots available and how often they will be replenished hasn’t been announced by the university, according to Johnson.

Besides the booster shots, the university will also host weekly vaccine clinics across all three campuses, offering doses of the Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

While appointments are encouraged, walk-ins will also be accepted.

Vaccine clinics will be held at the Argos Study Lounge at the Tampa campus Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Clinics at the St. Pete campus will be held at the campus Wellness Center on Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Sarasota-Manatee campus will host its clinics every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Student Engagement suite.