NOTEBOOK: Women’s soccer beats Florida Gulf Coast, Nasello tabbed AAC Offensive Player of the Week

After leading the Bulls to two consecutive wins over ECU and FGCU, Nasello was named the AAC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

The USF women’s soccer team defeated Florida Gulf Coast 2-1 on Sunday due in large part to the play of junior forward Sydny Nasello, who tallied two goals.

In addition to Nasello’s performance against the Eagles, she also logged a goal earlier in the week against ECU. Her play over the last two games was enough for her to be named AAC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday.

Now on a three-game win streak, the Bulls (6-2-1, 1-0-0 AAC) will head to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to take on the Golden Hurricane on Friday at 8 p.m.

After the game against Tulsa, USF will come back home for Senior Night against Houston on Sept. 30.

Football team battling injuries

Although the USF football team picked up a win against Florida A&M on Saturday, it had to deal with a trio of injuries along the way.

“[Senior receiver] Latrell Williams, I don’t know the extent of it, but [I’m] a little bit concerned about his knee,” coach Jeff Scott said after the game. “He had a really nice play [on the play he got hurt.] He’s worked extremely hard to come back from several injuries in his past in Tennessee, and he’s finally been healthy and playing really well for us. It was great to see him on that play, [but then] he unfortunately hurts his knee right there.”

Senior receiver Bryce Miller also sustained an ankle injury and senior defensive end Darrien Grant had an unspecified injury.

“We’ve got a little bit of an injury bug … [but] that’s part of football, next man up,” Scott said. “We’ll be here to support those guys if they’re going to be out for a little bit, and then we’ve got a week to get the other guys ready.”

Defensive backs Will Jones, Christian Williams, Mekhi LaPointe and Isaiah Cromarty also are dealing with injuries.

USF is set to play BYU in Utah at 10:15 p.m on Saturday. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and broadcast 95.3/620 WDAE iHeartRadio Bulls Unlimited. 

Volleyball takes two of three in Stetson Invitational

The USF volleyball team traveled to DeLand to take part in the Stetson Invitational from Sept. 17-18. The Bulls lost one match to New Mexico State University on Friday, but followed it up with two wins against Stetson and Bethune-Cookman.

Against New Mexico State, the Bulls lost three consecutive sets to drop the match, but junior defensive specialist CC Clausen stood out with 12 digs and two aces.

Later that same day against the Hatters, USF rebounded with a 3-1 win. Freshman outside hitter Marta Cvitkovic had 18 kills. The Bulls defeated Bethune-Cookman in sweeping fashion, winning 25-8 in the last set.

With nonconference play now wrapped up, the Bulls will play Cincinnati at home Friday at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on ESPN+ and broadcast on iHeartRadio Bulls Unlimited. 

Men’s soccer drops first conference game to No. 9 Tulsa

Tulsa’s men’s soccer team walked into Corbett Stadium with an undefeated record, and left with the same after beating the Bulls 5-2 on Saturday.

Despite a two-goal performance from junior midfielder Gabrielle Privitera, the Golden Hurricane were too much for the Bulls to handle.

With goals in the fourth, 20th, 40th, 60th and 80th minutes, Tulsa kept the pressure on USF from start to finish.

USF will continue conference play with a Friday match against SMU scheduled to begin at 8 p.m.