NOTEBOOK: Women’s soccer tops Miami

Freshman forward/midfielder Serita Thurton logged five shots with one on goal in USF’s win against Miami. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

After falling to No. 22 Tennessee and battling to a draw against Florida Atlantic in its past two games, the USF women’s soccer team is back to its winning ways after defeating Miami 1-0 on Sunday.

The lone goal came via a corner kick from junior Sydny Nasello in the 35th minute. Nasello kicked the ball into the box where it deflected off a Hurricane and into the back of the goal.

This is the second clean sheet the Bulls have posted so far this season, with the first coming against North Florida on Aug. 22.

Next up for USF is a home match against the East Carolina Pirates scheduled for Thursday at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on ESPN+. 

Volleyball wins Dolphin Classic

Starting the season 1-4 wasn’t ideal for the USF volleyball team, but the Bulls have since rebounded and responded with three consecutive wins against Long Island University (LIU), Furman and Jacksonville to win the Dolphin Classic.

Aside from dropping one set against LIU, the Bulls were virtually perfect in the tournament, defeating Furman and Jacksonville each 3-0.

Now back to .500 on the year, the Bulls will travel to DeLand for the Stetson Invitational, where they are scheduled to play New Mexico State University and Stetson on Sept. 17, and Bethune-Cookman University on Sept. 18.

Men’s soccer match against North Florida canceled

The USF men’s soccer team was scheduled to play North Florida on Tuesday at home in Corbett Stadium, but due to protocols associated with COVID-19 within the North Florida program, the game has been canceled.

Coach Bob Butehorn and the Bulls will now shift their attention to their next opponent, Tulsa, who they’re set to play Sept. 18 at home.

The match against the Golden Hurricane will open conference play for USF and will be streamed live on ESPN+.

Various athletic teams honored at USF football game

It was a successful year for many of USF’s athletic teams last season, and a handful of squads were honored during Saturday’s football game against the Gators.

Members of women’s basketball, baseball, men’s golf, women’s soccer and the co-ed cheer team were in attendance for the celebrations.

The teams were brought onto the field during a break in the action in the first half and recognized for their achievements.