Update on former USF players in the NFL

Former USF defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (90) is entering his 12th NFL season and his fourth with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The deadline for NFL teams to trim down their rosters to 53 players came and went Tuesday afternoon, and when the dust settled, a number of former USF football players found themselves on an active roster.

Specifically, running back D’Ernest Johnson is with the Cleveland Browns, running back Marlon Mack is with the Colts, defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling is with the Green Bay Packers and tight end Mitchell Wilcox is with the Cincinnati Bengals.

In an odd turn of events, wide receiver Rodney Adams initially made it onto the Chicago Bears’ active roster but was waived later in the day. A day later, he was added to the team’s practice squad.

Teams are allowed to have 16 players on their practice squads this season, and defensive end Mike Love is currently one of them for the Bills, per Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun. In addition to Love, defensive lineman Bruce Hector was added to the Lions practice squad, per independent NFL reporter Dov Kleiman.

No reports of Deadrin Senat have come out about him reaching a buyout with the Atlanta Falcons, so he will likely spend the 2021 season sidelined on the injured reserve (IR). For wide receiver DeVontres Dukes, however, he reached a buyout with the Denver Broncos after he was on their IR, making him a free agent.

Other notable former Bulls who are free agents and can sign to any team’s active roster or practice squad include center Austin Reiter who most recently played with the Kansas City Chiefs last season and defensive back KJ Sails who played in the preseason with the Los Angeles Chargers.

This is a developing story, stay with The Oracle for updates.

This story was last updated Sept. 3 at 10:25 a.m.