Eriksen has U.S. Olympic softball team in gold medal game

After going undefeated in group play, the U.S. Olympic softball team will play Japan in the gold medal game. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Only two softball teams have yet to be beaten in the Olympics, and they are now set to play one another for Olympic gold.

The U.S. (4-0), led by USF softball coach Ken Eriksen, and Japan (4-0) will compete in the gold medal game Tuesday at 7 a.m. EDT.

Getting there wasn’t easy for the U.S., as they had to defeat Italy, Canada, Mexico and, in nail-biting fashion, Australia.

After falling down by a run, Amanda Chidester from the U.S. stepped to the plate with a chance to drive in the tying score and potentially the winning run.

Chidester slapped a ground ball that narrowly got by the glove of the diving Australian shortstop. The ball trickled into the outfield, giving the game-winning run enough time to scamper home from second base, officially pushing the U.S. in the championship game.

The pitching thus far for the U.S. has kept the team alive. Through four games, only one run has come across the plate for the opposition.

Before the U.S. and Japan compete for gold, they will first match up Sunday night at 9 p.m. EST to establish which squad will be designated as the home team Tuesday morning.

Both games against Japan on Sunday night and Tuesday morning will be televised on NBC Sports.