NOTEBOOK: Former USF pitcher Shane McClanahan impresses in latest start with Rays

Former USF pitcher Shane McClanahan (above) struck out eight Sunday against Seattle in his 10th career start for the Tampa Bay Rays. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Tampa Bay Rays’ pitcher Shane McClanahan, who spent three years at USF, posted what was likely the best outing of his professional career Sunday against the Seattle Mariners.

McClanahan worked six innings and allowed three hits and one earned run. He also struck out eight.

Despite the quality start, the Rays were unable to capitalize and lost 6-2 in 10 innings. Rays’ manager Kevin Cash gave praise to McClanahan for his performance and said he was impressed with what the lefty was able to do. 

“I thought it was a really good one, that’s for sure,” Cash said of McClanahan’s start. “[His] deepest and most efficient, he just really attacked the zone well. The stuff played up. He did a very nice job, [he] gives up [only] a solo homer.

“And you’d like to think those types of outings you’re going to get wins from them, and we will, and we do. But [I] was very impressed with Shane’s overall work.”

Fernandez, Bulls net transfer point guard from Memphis

The USF women’s basketball team announced June 18 it will be bringing in sophomore point guard Aerial Wilson as a transfer from Memphis. Wilson joins the Bulls after two seasons with the Tigers where she started 49 of her 50 game appearances.

Coach Jose Fernandez led the Bulls last season to a 19-4 record and clinched the program’s first-ever regular-season and conference tournament titles. Looking to build on that, he has added multiple players this offseason like Wilson to help bolster the roster.

Fernandez said Wilson will provide his team with depth at the lead guard position.

“Aerial gives us added depth at the point guard spot,” Fernandez said. “She has started 49 games in [the AAC] and averaged over 30 minutes a game. She fits our style of play and our program on and off the floor.” 

Wilson was second in the AAC for assists per game last season with 6.1, behind only junior guard Elisa Pinzan, who is now her teammate.

Along with Wilson, the Bulls have added freshmen Bella Weary and Patience Williams, sophomore Odeth Betancourt and redshirt senior Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu this offseason.

Vice President of Athletics Michael Kelly to be appointed to NCAA Division I Council

On July 1, Vice President of USF Athletics Michael Kelly will be appointed to the NCAA Division I Council to serve a four-year term, as was announced via a press release from USF Athletics on June 16.

Kelly will serve alongside 39 other council members that are “responsible for the day-to-day decision-making for Division I.” 

“I am honored to represent USF and The American in serving on the Division I Council and to have the opportunity to help steward the governance of the NCAA and the experience of student-athletes across the nation,” Kelly said. 

Kelly’s appointment will have no effect on his leadership duties at USF Athletics.

One of Kelly’s tasks includes serving on the NCAA Division I Competition Oversight Committee, which he was appointed to. The committee “has oversight responsibility of regular season and championships administrations in all sports other than football and men’s and women’s basketball,” according to the press release.