Former USF pitcher set to get first regular-season appearance with Rays

Shane McClanahan (above) made his MLB debut last season in the playoffs for the Tampa Bay Rays. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Former USF baseball player Shane McClanahan was called up to the Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday and is scheduled to make his regular-season debut against the Oakland Athletics on Thursday afternoon, per Tampa Bay Times reporter Marc Topkin.

McClanahan made history last season as he became the first pitcher in MLB history to make his major league debut in the postseason. The USF alum tossed 4.1 playoff innings and had his best showing in a one-inning appearance in the World Series during which he allowed just one hit, by Dodgers shortstop Corey Seager.

His start against the Athletics will serve as McClanahan’s regular-season debut.

In his collegiate career with the Bulls, McClanahan made 29 starts and pitched a total of 152.1 innings. He had a 3.17 ERA, 224 strikeouts and allowed just 99 hits.

After USF, McClanahan was drafted 31st overall in the 2018 MLB Draft and has since spent the majority of his time in the minor leagues.

According to MLB Pipeline, McClanahan is the Rays’ No. 5 prospect and the No. 75 overall prospect among all MLB teams.

To watch McClanahan’s debut against the Athletics, fans can tune in to Bally Sports Sun on Thursday at 1:10 p.m. or listen to the audio broadcast of the game on WDAE 620AM/95.3FM or WGES 680.