Pair of freshmen goals boost Bulls past No. 22 Tulsa for third consecutive win

Freshman midfielder Shion Soga (above) scored the game-tying goal for the Bulls in their upset win over No. 22 Tulsa. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The USF men’s soccer team beat No. 22 Tulsa 2-1 on Saturday night with a helpful push from freshmen midfielders Shion Soga and Brian Schaefer.

The Bulls (3-2 AAC) had to battle through adversity to keep their three-game winning streak alive. Falling behind early in the second half in conjunction with having five yellow cards issued against them were some obstacles the Bulls had to overcome to pull off the upset victory.

After a quiet first half for both teams, the Bulls conceded a goal early in the second half to freshman midfielder Luke Jeffus of the Golden Hurricane (2-1 AAC).

It looked like it was going to be a night where nothing favorable was going to happen for the Bulls offensively until Soga scored the equalizer in the 64th minute.

After a cross cleared by Tulsa from a USF free kick, the away side tried to hit the Bulls on a quick counter-attack before senior midfielder Diego Guerrero disrupted the play and passed a through ball toward Soga, who scored.

The score remained knotted at 1-1 for 11 more minutes, but Schaefer blasted the eventual game-winning goal.

Schaefer’s goal was set up after Tulsa’s goalkeeper Lucas Cline attempted to catch the ball but instead fumbled it into a tight crowded area of players. The ball eventually fell to Schaefer’s feet, who then smashed it into the net. 

Both goals scored by Soga and Schaefer were the first of their college careers.

Next up, the Bulls will travel to Tennessee to face the Memphis Tigers. The game is set to kick off March 13 at 6:30 p.m.