Two Bulls given professional opportunities in MLS SuperDraft

Former defender Javain Brown and current defender Avionne Flanagan have each been given MLS opportunities. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF defenders Javain Brown and Avionne Flanagan were drafted in the MLS SuperDraft on Thursday afternoon.

Brown was selected in the first round by the Vancouver Whitecaps with the 23rd overall pick, while Flanagan was selected 29th overall by FC Cincinnati.

Sophomore right back Brown expressed excitement for his future in MLS and sent a message to the Vancouver faithful via video on Twitter. 

“Hey, Whitecap fans. I just want you guys to know I’m excited to be part of a wonderful franchise like Vancouver,” he said. “I’m looking forward to being there soon, to get to work, to put in the necessary work I need to do to be a part of the team. 

“The work just starts for me, and I just wanted to thank you guys again.”

As for Flanagan, he was selected six slots after his teammate and will be joining FC Cincinnati. The Ohio-based side finished with the fewest points in all of MLS last season and may be hoping that the Baltimore-born defender can help improve the back line. 

The senior was tipped to be selected by the Armchair Analyst on MLS.com prior to the event, and Cincinnati decided the defender would be a suitable fit in front of goal.

Flanagan’s departure from the Bulls will be bittersweet for USF fans. He bagged four goals and seven assists as a defender and managed 48 appearances during his tenure thus far with the Bulls, including 41 starts. 

In a tweet sent out shortly after he was drafted, Flanagan expressed his gratitude to the club.

It’s still undetermined whether Flanagan will take part in any portion of the season at the college level.

His side may prefer that he link up with the professional squad as soon as possible to prepare for the coming MLS season, which has yet to release an official start date.