McClanahan included on Rays’ postseason roster

The Tampa Bay Rays added former USF pitcher Shane McClanahan to their roster ahead of the first round against the Blue Jays. McClanahan has a chance to become the first pitcher in MLB history to make his debut in a postseason game. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The Tampa Bay Rays added former USF pitcher Shane McClanahan to their Wild Card Series roster ahead of the series against the Toronto Blue Jays in the first round.

McClanahan played for USF from 2016-18. McClanahan pitched and started in all of his 29 games for the Bulls. 

With USF, McClanahan had a 3.31 ERA, 224 strikeouts and a 9-8 record.

After his three years with the Bulls, McClanahan was selected 31st overall by the Rays in the 2018 MLB draft, the third-highest pick in program history.

For the next two years, McClanahan pitched in the minor leagues, splitting the 2019 season across three levels — Class-A, Class-A Advanced and Double-A. 

In his two seasons in the minors, McClanahan pitched in 28 games. He had an ERA of 3.17, with 167 strikeouts and an 11-6 record, pitching in 127.2 innings.

In 2019, during his stint with the Bowling Green Hot Rods, the Class-A affiliate of the Rays, McClanahan earned Midwest League All-Star honors.

With McClanahan being called up to the Rays roster, he has the potential to be the first pitcher in MLB history to make his debut in the postseason.

McClanahan is the No. 6 and No. 99 ranked prospect on the Rays and in MLB, respectively, according to MLB.com.