USF football schedules three-game series with Notre Dame

After reports circulated of a game against Notre Dame, the Bulls have officially secured a three-game series against the Fighting Irish.

USF on Thursday announced the Bulls will travel to South Bend on Sept. 19 for the first game of the series, replacing the previously scheduled home game against Nevada.

“This will be a great opportunity for our university for our program and for our student-athletes to get great exposure and play on one of the biggest stages in all of college football,” coach Jeff Scott said.

The TV schedule and kickoff time will be announced at a later date.

This will be the Bulls’ second trip to Notre Dame Stadium after USF’s 23-20 win over the Fighting Irish in the 2011 season opener.

Notre Dame will then travel to Raymond James Stadium for the next game of the series, followed by a return to South Bend. Dates for the next two games have yet to be announced.

Scott has a personal connection to Notre Dame, and he said it’s been on his bucket list since he was 12 years old.

“I can remember my father was coaching at Florida State, and FSU went play at Notre Dame in 1993 in a big matchup,” he said. “I remember vividly sitting in my living room. I didn’t get to go to the game, it was probably on NBC staying and watching that game and just seeing the atmosphere and everything involved with that.

“From that time, kind of watching that game, I’ve always been intrigued with playing or coaching up there in South Bend.”

Notre Dame will be the second nonconference team USF faces in the 2020 season after The Citadel on Sept. 12. The Bulls face FAU on Sept. 26.