Two football players test positive for coronavirus

After a week of voluntary on-campus workouts, two football players tested positive for coronavirus, USF announced Wednesday.

USF will continue regular testing, and players who are cleared of coronavirus will continue to work out in small groups.

We continue to monitor very closely our student-athletes that have returned to campus and maintain diligent protocols outlined by our Infection Response Team – including screening, testing and sanitization – with the first priority being student-athletes’ health and safety,” football coach Jeff Scott said.

Since June 10, more than 75 student-athletes have returned for voluntary on-campus workouts. All athletes and staff members are tested for coronavirus prior to each voluntary workout session.

Currently, football workouts are physically distanced and conducted in small groups of 10 in order to comply with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. 

Prior to the start of voluntary workouts, workout equipment was moved outdoors underneath tents on the practice field outside of the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center. Equipment is cleaned and sanitized after each use.

“We will continue to follow the guidance of our sports medicine professionals and university, state and local authorities while allowing student-athletes who have been cleared to continue voluntary workouts in small groups with strict protocols,” Scott said.