NOTEBOOK: Flowers listed as QB for XFL Vipers

Quinton Flowers is listed as both a quarterback and running back on the Vipers’ roster. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/USF ATHLETICS

Quinton Flowers will get to play the position professionally that made him a standout at USF.

Well, probably.

Flowers, now with the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers, was listed as a quarterback on the Vipers’ roster, which was released by the team both via social media and its website Monday. On social media, Flowers was grouped with the rest of the quarterbacks, however, his given position was also listed as running back.

Drafted as a running back by the Vipers in October, Flowers spent time in the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals as a running back, though he spent most of that time on their practice squad before being cut at the end of the 2019 preseason. He was subsequently signed to the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad and cut a week later.

Considered by many to be the greatest player in program history, Flowers’ accolades as a Bull include holding 42 career, season or game records and was the career leader in total offense — both at USF and in the AAC. He also holds the record for most rushing yards by a quarterback at a Florida FBS school, surpassing Florida’s Tim Tebow by 725 yards in 12 fewer games.

The XFL’s inaugural season begins the week after the Super Bowl, with the Vipers traveling to East Rutherford, New Jersey, to face the New York Guardians.

Collins sets conference record

USF men’s basketball junior guard David Collins set an AAC record in Sunday’s 68-49 loss to No. 25 Houston.

With three made free throws, Collins now sits as the conference’s leader in made free throws, passing Memphis’ Jeremiah Martin.

Collins finished Sunday with five points, making only one field goal in the Bulls’ fifth straight loss. No USF player finished the game in double figures in any offensive category.

Mununga named to weekly Honor Roll

Following back-to-back double-digit rebounding performances in victories over Wichita State and Tulane, USF women’s basketball forward Bethy Mununga was named to the weekly AAC Honor Roll on Monday for the fourth time this season.

Mununga recorded her seventh double-double of the season with 13 points and 15 rebounds Wednesday against Wichita State, while she collected 10 rebounds Saturday against Tulane.

The junior is averaging just under a double-double on the season at 10.3 points and 9.9 rebounds.