USF Athletics Hall of Fame inductees announced

Sara Nevins was one of three former Bulls announced as USF Athletics Hall of Fame inductees Tuesday. ORACLE FILE PHOTO

The USF Athletics Hall of Fame will have three new names this fall.

Shantia Grace (women’s basketball, 2005-09), Sara Nevins (softball, 2011-14) and George Selvie (football, 2006-09) will be the next class to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, USF Athletics announced Tuesday.

The Class of 2019 will be the sixth inducted into the Hall of Fame — which began in 2009 — and the first since 2013. Vice President of Athletics Michael Kelly announced the return of the Hall of Fame in February.

“We are very excited to welcome this tremendous class of Bulls that have had such a significant impact on USF Athletics to the Hall of Fame,” Kelly said in a statement Tuesday. “I would like to thank the Hall of Fame committee for their time and effort in selecting an outstanding class and we look forward to welcoming the inductees home during a great event this fall.”

The induction ceremony will take place Friday, Nov. 15 at the Marshall Student Center, the night before USF football plays Cincinnati at Raymond James Stadium. USF Athletics plans to release further details on the ceremony at a later date.

About the inductees

Sara Nevins

Nevins is the second softball player to be inducted, joining Monica Triner (2011). The ace of the team that went to the 2012 Women’s College World Series, she is considered by many to be the best pitcher in USF softball history. She was a four-time all-conference selection and was named the 2014 AAC Pitcher of the Year.

She holds the program record for wins (101), saves (20), innings pitched (844.1), strikeouts (1,103), strikeouts per seven innings (9.14), opponent batting average (.170) and appearances (190). Nevins pitched in two of the three perfect games in program history and nine no-hitters. She also was a member of the USA Women’s National Team from 2013-15, winning five medals.

Shantia Grace

Grace was a three-time All-Big East selection, earning a first-team selection in 2008-09. She was named most valuable player of the 2009 Women’s NIT after the Bulls won their first, and to date only, postseason championship. In addition to being third all-time in scoring (1,941 points), seventh in steals (194) and third in games played (132), Grace also holds the program record for single-game scoring at 44 points, set in 2008 against Coppin State.

The third women’s basketball player to be inducted, Grace joins Wanda Guyton (2009) and Jessica Dickson (2012). She is currently the head coach at Booker High School in Sarasota after playing professionally in Poland.

George Selvie

Selvie is the third football player to be inducted, joining Anthony Henry (2011) and Marquel Blackwell (2013). He is the only two-time, first-team All-American in program history (2007 & 2008). The 2007 Big East Defensive Player of the Year, Selvie was a major factor in the Bulls’ eventual rise to No. 2 in the nation, setting program records for tackles for loss (31.5) and sacks (14.5). Selvie remains as the program leader in tackles for loss (69.5), sacks (29), forced fumbles (9) and starts (50).

He was drafted in the seventh round in the 2010 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams and went on to play six seasons in the NFL with the New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams.