Corrick uses softball to connect to homeland

Despite living in the U.S. since she was 3 months old, Georgina Corrick plays for Team Great Britain internationally. The USF ace uses her international play to connect with her homeland and heritage. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS

At 6-feet tall, she’s an intimidating presence in the circle.

Last season, she was the AAC Co-Pitcher of the Year — no small feat in the No. 4 conference by RPI.

Through 77.1 innings this season, she has already struck out 100.

By all metrics, Georgina Corrick is really good at softball.

Which may be surprising considering she’s from a country not known for the sport.

Corrick was born in Basingstoke, England, and was only 3 months old when her family moved to the U.S. After moving around Georgia and Florida, the Corricks finally settled in Sanford, just outside of Orlando.

Because of her full schedule with softball and college, it’s not easy for Corrick to travel to England to see extended family these days.

But that’s where softball comes in.

For the last five years, Corrick, who is still a full English citizen, has played internationally for Team Great Britain.

Not only is she able to see her relatives when she trains with her national team, but it’s also a great way for her to keep in touch with her British heritage.

“It’s really nice to not only be able to go over there and see them when I’m playing, but also to kind of represent my country in a sense,” Corrick said. “It’s super exciting and it’s so humbling for me to kind of remind me where I came from.”

There’s just something special for Corrick when she plays for her homeland.

“Obviously I feel so much pride for USF, but when I play on my international team, I feel connected to the girls there, I feel connected to my family and kind of my culture,” Corrick said. “It’s that nice dichotomy of being from here, but still feeling pride for both places.”

While she has already represented her homeland on the international stage numerous times, there’s the potential for something even bigger looming next summer.

Representing her country on the grandest stage of them all — the Olympics.

After a two-Olympic hiatus, softball is returning next summer for the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.

Great Britain has not yet qualified for the Olympics and will need to win the Africa/Europe slot later this summer in order to participate next year.

But the door is open for Corrick to fulfill a childhood dream, and perhaps even, her destiny.

“That’s been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid watching Jennie Finch,” Corrick said. “To see that I joined a program and to have been a part of that program as it built and built into what it’s become now, it still fills me with so much excitement and joy that I could be them. I could be someone that people look up to. I could kind of fulfill that role of mine where it’s like I take my game to the highest stakes there’s ever been.”

It’s not like people don’t recognize her now, though.

A visit to her Twitter account will show a pinned tweet from last summer’s Women’s Softball World Championship in Chiba, Japan, where Corrick is posing for pictures with numerous Japanese fans.

Two of the pictures even include a sign with her name and number.

“I really can’t comprehend it,” Corrick said. “Going over there and have someone be like, ‘Hey, I watched your season. I saw you had a really good season.’ I’m from nowhere. Sanford’s like a nowhere town and I felt like I was kind of a nobody that came out here and I’m just going to do what I do best. And to see that other people recognize that is — it’s really humbling and really exciting for me.”

It’s not that she doesn’t like Sanford or even the U.S. But, despite living her entire life here, she’s never felt truly American.

“People always ask me, ‘Will you get your [American] citizenship?’ And I’m always kind of on the fence,” Corrick said. “Because as much as I feel that I’ve grown up here and I love being here, I still kind of feel that pull to go back to Europe and to travel and to explore and see all the places I never really had a chance to.”

Corrick’s parents are big “hounders” of English culture, which is likely no small factor in her feelings about England.

They’re also the reason she was so emotionally mature in her transition to college, both academically and on the field.

“When you come to college … there’s so many different things. There’s a new environment, there’s a new speed of the game in the classroom and a new speed of the game on the field, and then all the factors socially about trying to fit in with a lot of things,” USF coach Ken Eriksen said. “So she did it really right off the bat. When you see things like that happen …  it’s good parenting. Her parents prepared her well for the transition to college.”

Although she’s a pitcher at USF now, make no mistake. Georgina Corrick is from England.

She may not have grown up there.

She may not get to visit often.

But it’s her homeland.

“It’s really hard to ignore where you come from no matter where you end up,” Corrick said. “You still started in the same place.

“I’ve never really felt, no matter where I went, that I would forget where I came from.”