Bulls’ nine-match win streak snapped by No. 22 UCF

Both of Juliana Cardoso and Jessica Cortes-Chaves (above) beat UCF 6-4 in their doubles match on Wednesday.
ORACLE PHOTO/THOMAS PRETTYMAN

After being shut out in the first match of doubles, USF ended its second against No. 22 UCF in a tie on Wednesday at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts, before falling to UCF 4-1 overall.

Juniors Nicole Dzenga and Vanja Klaric fought back for the Bulls in doubles against UCF’s early lead, but the contest ended early due to time constraints with UCF taking the doubles-match point. 

Singles followed suit for the Bulls as the Knights clinched the match, breaking USF’s nine-match win streak. Klaric would put up the Bulls’ only win, despite two other contests ending unfinished. 

“It was definitely a tough match,” USF coach Cristina Moros said. “I thought we had some chances in doubles.”

Senior Juliana Cardoso and freshman Evelyne Tiron fell to UCF in singles.“There were certain spots in singles that we just couldn’t capitalize on,”  Moros said. “But credit to them. They have a high ranking. They’re a good team for a reason and I thought they showed that today, especially when it came down to some sets and some games. Looking forward to our last match, so hopefully we can make some adjustments and do a little bit better on Sunday.”

UCF (16-2, 4-0) has only lost two matches all season, both of which were to power-five teams — Alabama and TCU. The loss was only USF’s second conference loss of the season, with its other loss coming against Tulsa.

The Bulls’ final match of the regular season will be against Rice on Sunday at noon on the USF Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bulls will try to defend their AAC Conference title in the AAC Conference Tournament in Dallas, which starts on April 19.

An earlier version of this article said team was on an eight-match win streak when it was a nine-match win streak. This has been corrected.