USF blanks Seton Hall 9-0 for fourth shutout of season

Wednesday's win over Seton Hall was the Bulls fifth in a row. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF (12-12) wasted no time in its 9-0 rout of Seton Hall (10-8) on Wednesday night at the USF Softball Stadium.

Due to the mercy rule, the game concluded in the 5th inning after just one hour and 23 minutes.

Leading the Bulls’ offensive thrashing were second baseman Lindsey Devitt and third baseman Brooke Hartman. 

“I think our guys really had a plan when they went to the plate,” assistant coach Laura Ricciardone said. “They stayed with that plan, didn’t try to do too much at the plate and were getting their barrel to the ball really well.”

Devitt was responsible for a season high five RBI against the Pirates.  She was three-for-three on the night, hitting a double and a homerun that landed on top of the batting facility in left field. 

“To be honest, we’re just hitting the ball really well,” Devitt said. “The past few games also just seeing the ball up front. See the ball, hit the ball.”

Hartman was also perfect. She went three-for-three and had a homerun of her own. She has been on base for each of her last eight at-bats.

“Brooke Hartman is locked in right now,” Ricciardone said. “She’s seeing the ball really well, again, not trying to do too much at the plate, just getting her barrel to the ball well as you can see tonight.”

On defense, pitcher Cheyenne Eggens made it easy for the Bulls.

Allowing just four hits through five innings, Eggens threw a shutout against the Pirates. This was Eggens’ second straight complete game win in a row. She now posts a 1.81 ERA.

“Cheyenne Eggens had some incredible innings,” Ricciardone said. “She brought back zeroes for us. That’s all we can ask our pitchers to do is give us a shot.”

USF took the lead in the bottom of the second inning and never let up. They scored three runs in the third inning and scored four in the fifth. 

Samantha Worrell closed the game with a walk-off three-run homerun that ended the game early. 

“We’re just going game-to-game, practice-to-practice,” Ricciardone said. “So our guys are owning their plans and approaches. Doing the little things.”

This is the Bulls’ fifth win in a row and their fourth shutout of the season. 

USF opens their Under Armour Showcase Friday against Villanova (3-7) on Friday at 2 p.m. at USF Softball Stadium.