UP arrests community member for carrying a concealed firearm on campus

Students received a notice of an armed suspect near the Nursing Building at around 12:40 p.m. and a second saying the area was safe less than 10 minutes later. ORACLE FILE PHOTO

University Police (UP) arrested a community member for violating a concealed weapons license after he was found to be carrying a concealed firearm on campus.

Paul Palacios, 52, was attending a conference in the College of Nursing when UP was received a call at around 12:23 p.m. on Thursday. A community notification was released at about 12:40 p.m.

“We did receive a report from someone who saw him take it (a firearm) out of the vehicle,” said Audrey Clarke, UP public information representative.

Clarke said Palacios wasn’t brandishing the gun or doing anything threatening with it. According to UP, he has a valid concealed weapons license.

Officers arrested him and charged him with a second degree misdemeanor of violating a concealed weapons license. 

Officers secured the gun and Palacios was released with a notice to appear in court.

Under current Florida law, those with a concealed carry license can have a firearm on a university campus as long as it remains in their car. It becomes a violation of the license when the gun is removed from the car.