Notebook: Men’s soccer defeats UCF in overtime

With the win over UCF, USF is now 4-0-1 in conference openers since the AAC’s inaugural season THE ORACLE/ ABBY BAKER

Men’s soccer downs UCF with golden goal

USF entered Saturday’s game against UCF at Corbett Stadium with three straight home wins and left with a fourth after 107 minutes, three goals and two comebacks.

Ending the game in double overtime with a goal from outside the 18-yard-box via Alex Zis, USF improved its record to 4-3 in front of a season high 1,248 fans.

After falling behind in the ninth minute, USF’s Avionne Flannagan tied the game up before halftime with his first career goal. UCF (1-3-1) regained the lead in the 72nd minute, but the Bulls tied the score again, this time with Ricardo Gomez from 25 yards out.

“I’m really proud of the guys and their resiliency today and the way they kept pushing through,” coach Bob Butehorn said. “They kept responding every time we went down one. If this is what the future holds for the I-4 rivalry, this is going to be a lot of fun.”

USF will not face UCF again in the regular season, but could play them in the AAC tournament.

The Bulls ended UCF’s season last year in the tournament’s semi-finals with, fittingly, a double-overtime goal.

Next up: USF travels to face No. 10 Louisville in Kentucky on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Women’s soccer falls to Cincinnati

In contrast to the men’s soccer team that won in heartbreaking fashion, the women got the short end of the stick Sunday afternoon in Cincinnati.

After holding the Bearcats scoreless for 88 minutes, Cincinnati eventually broke through off of a corner kick that was curled in by the corner taker, defender Karli Royer.

USF goalkeeper Kat Elliot, who recorded a season high eight saves, was able to get her hands on the ball but not stop it from going in. The win propelled Cincinnati to 7-1-2, while the Bulls fell to 5-3-0.

“A little bit unorthodox, but you have to put things on target for goals to be scored,” Cincinnati coach Neil Stafford said post game on the goal off the corner kick.

After two AAC away games, USF returns to Tampa for a 7 p.m. game against Memphis on Thursday. The first 400 fans at the game will receive a USF scarf.

Former USF football coach Willie Taggart loses first game

Former Bulls football coach Willie Taggart left USF last December after four seasons with the program to accept the same position at Oregon.

Playing on the road against Arizona State Saturday night, Taggart’s Ducks, who were favored to win by 14, lost 37-35.

In the defeat, the Ducks were 1-9 on third downs against an Arizona State team ranked 129th in the nation in third down defense.

“We weren’t doing the thing we are capable of doing and I was more frustrated by that than anything,” Taggart told The Oregonian.

The loss dropped the Ducks, who were previously ranked No. 24 for one week, out of the Associated Press Top 25. USF, who was previously ranked 20th, moved up to No. 17 in this week’s poll after defeating Illinois 43-7 Thursday.