Campus things to do

USF students looking for something social to do on Friday night can join the Video Game Club for Smash Fest at 7 p.m. for a celebration of a Nintendo classic. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

One of the best parts about attending a university as large as USF is that students never have to look too far for interesting experiences to take part in. Here are a few happening over the course of the next few days on campus that students can attend if they have some free time in their social calendar.

WHAT: The President and Vice President Ticket Debate

WHEN: Today at 6:30-8:30 p.m.

WHERE: Marshall Student Center Ballroom

WHY: While student body presidential candidates Ryan Soscia and Moneer Kheireddine already had their first debate last Thursday, this one is bound to be different as both their running mates, Logan Holland and Shaquille Kent, respectively, will also be take part.

If people wish to see actual change in the student government and the policies they enact in the name of the student body, it is recommended that they attend these debates. The one being held tonight will allow both running parties to expand on their ideals that they voiced at the last event, as well as introduce some new ones. The debate starts at 7 p.m. and hors d'oeuvres will be provided to the audience.

WHAT: Free Argentine Tango Lessons by the Argentine Tango Club at USF

WHEN: Thursday, Feb. 23 at 7:30-9 p.m.

WHERE: REC 033

WHY: For the students who want to show off a new moves on the dance floor, the Argentine Tango Club at USF is offering free tango lessons tomorrow for anyone who wishes to learn the skill.

Interested parties do not need a partner, previous experience, special shoes or even to be a USF student, but it does cost non-students $15 to get into Campus Recreation, where the class will be held.

WHAT: USF Smash Fest

WHEN: Friday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m.-11 p.m.

WHERE: MSC 3709

WHY: For the 90s babies, self-professed geeks and every person in between, USF’s Video Game Club is hosting Smash Fest, an event where students can bond with each other over their love of Nintendo’s classic video game, Super Smash Bros.

Both non-club members and club members alike are invited to enter Super Smash Bros. 4 and Super Smash Bros. Melee contests, but there will also be individual matches set up for those who are looking for something more laid back. The event’s sponsors, Tespa and Twitch, will be contributing prizes for all winners. There will also be refreshments provided.

WHAT: USF Botanical Gardens’ Volunteer Orientation

WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 25 at 10-12 p.m.

WHERE: USF Botanical Gardens

WHY: For people who want to get involved with the Botanical Gardens, but didn’t know where to start, this is their opportunity. Students can go there on the 4th Saturday of every month to find out how their contribution can benefit the gardens.

Students can utilize the Botanical Gardens in multiple ways such as attending garden workshops, buying fresh honey and even farming their own plants on accessible student plots. However, the gardens only has a staff of around six people, so anyone interested is encouraged to volunteer. While it would be helpful, they don’t need to have experience, just a passion for helping to preserve the environment.

Students can find out more on their website at gardens.usf.edu.