Students can test their survival skills at today’s Survivalist Social

With Halloween coming up, there are a lot of spooky festivities available for students to take part in over the course of the next week. However, what about the students who aren’t into Halloween as much, but would rather learning how to endure the great Floridian outdoors?

The Botanical Garden Club, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) and the Disaster and Humanitarian Relief Student Collaborative (DAHR-SC) have come together to put on their second-annual Survivalist Social tonight at 7 p.m., where students will be able to test their survival skills and enjoy free food.

“This was our most attended event last year so we are hoping to top it this year,” said Diana Yang, a senior majoring in microbiology and the president of The Botanical Garden Club.

The social will consist of a total of seven stations that have exercises such as mock hunting, boat building, trivia, CPR and survival management skills. This is an interactive event, and all participants will need to complete at least five stations correctly in order to say that they are a “survivor”.

“NSCS teamed up with the Botanical Garden Club and DAHR based off of an email that Diana sent to all club presidents,” said Jade Lopez, a senior majoring in health sciences and president of NSCS. “We are very happy to be a part of this.”

The event runs for two hours, and it will take about 30 minutes to get through all activities. Each activity will start over for each new student, so even if students get there at 8 p.m., they will still be able to take part.

“Once students complete the stations, and have the card marked that they successfully completed each station, they will get to take a picture holding the ‘I survived’ sign. These photos will then posted on the club’s Facebook page as well as other social media pages,” said Yang. “If students just want to come out, mingle and eat free food, they are more than welcome to, but we believe this will be a lot of fun [and] that everyone will want to participate.”

The Botanical Garden Club is a volunteered-based club that does monthly community service projects, while NSCS is an honor society that invites freshman and sophomores with a 3.4, or higher, GPA to join. The DAHR-SC club is also volunteered-based club. It is centered around research and philanthropy, and it has multiple community services activities available for its members. All three clubs can be found on Bullsync and various social media sites.

All three clubs are inviting students to show up at the MSC Amphitheater for an alternative to the same Halloween routine. There, they will have the opportunity to meet new people, make friends, enjoy free food, and most of all, have fun.

“Everyone is welcome,” said Yang.

Students should be prepared to test their knowledge and see if they know what it’s like to live in nature.

“This is going to be super interactive,” said Lopez. “There is no way anyone will be bored.”