Things to do this week

Pastries  with the president gives students the chance to sit down with USF System President Judy Genshaft. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/SEBASTIAN CONTENTO

On-Campus

WHO/WHAT: Pastries with the President

WHEN: Today at 2 p.m.

WHERE: Marshall Student Center 4300

WHY: This event allows students to interact with USF System President Judy Genshaft. Student Government hosts this event every semester in hopes that students can meet Genshaft while learning about their organization as well. Students can snack on various desserts in between taking pictures with Genshaft.

WHO/WHAT: Art Thursday: Dear Climate

WHEN: Thursday at 6 p.m.

WHERE: USF Contemporary Art Museum

WHY: From Aug. 22 to Dec. 10, the USF Contemporary Art Museum will run Extracted, an exhibit comprised of art that “investigates the extraction of natural resources, and the material and cultural circulation of such resources around the globe," according to its website. Writers from USF’s Creative Writing program will be reading original pieces influenced by the exhibit.

WHO/WHAT: How to Be Competitive for National Scholarship Workshop

WHEN: Monday at 1 p.m.

WHERE: Juniper-Poplar Hall 1319

WHY: The Office of National Scholarships is hosting this event to help students who are interested in applying for national scholarships. As many students vie annually for these, students who wish to be in the running should attend to see what they should and should not do to become a stronger candidate. You can RSVP and find other ONS scholarship workshops on its website at ons.usf.edu.

Off-Campus

WHO/WHAT: On Point Book Fair

WHEN: Saturday at 10 a.m.

WHERE: WestShore Plaza

WHY: Students who love to read but are in between books can visit the On Point Book Fair to see what they should read next. The fair will feature over 100 local professionals and businesses involved in the literary industry, including writers and publishers. There will be book signings, giveaways and other events.

WHO/WHAT: Chef Inspired Popcorn Company’s Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

WHEN: Tuesday at 11:30 a.m.

WHERE: 927 S. Howard Ave., Tampa

WHY: Chef Inspired Popcorn Company offers gluten-and peanut-free popcorn in a variety of flavors and colors. Customers can try from flavors such as bacon cheddar, French toast and fruit cup. This ribbon-cutting ceremony is celebrating its new location. The first 50 people will be given free popcorn in any flavor of their choice. There’s sure to be something for everybody.

WHO/WHAT: Yoga in Curtis Hixon Park

WHEN: Sunday at 6 p.m.

WHERE: Curtis Hixon Park, 600 N. Ashley Dr., Tampa

WHY: Students who feel as if the semester is going by too fast and need to slow down their pace can participate in an hour-long yoga session in Downtown Tampa. This class is offered every week and is open to the general public. Anyone attending should bring his or her own mats and a clear mind. Students can also bring a donation if they would like. All donations go toward the weekly class.