Mack undergoing concussion protocol ahead of NIU

Junior tailback Marlon Mack, who left Saturday's game early in the second quarter against Towson after a collision with two Tiger defenders, is currently going through concussion protocol and is questional for Saturday's game. ORACLE PHOTO/JACOB HOAG

After leaving Saturday’s opener with what was listed as an “upper-body injury”, Bulls’ standout junior running back Marlon Mack is officially questionable for this weekend’s matchup with Northern Illinois and is currently going throguh concussion protocol.

Mack left the game early in the second quarter against Towson after a collision with two Tiger defenders caused Mack to fumble the ball and stay down for several minutes.

Speaking with the media during Monday’s weekly AAC coaches’ teleconference, USF coach Willie Taggart was brief when describing the Doak Walker candidate's current state.

“Right now, Marlon is going through concussion protocol,” Taggart said. “He’s questionable for the ball game on Saturday.”

Mack was a statistical monster for the Bulls in 2015, scoring nine touchdowns and setting the USF single season rushing record with 1,381 yards.

USF is blessed with a bevy of capable backs to step in including junior D'Ernest Johnson and senior Darius Tice — both scored in Saturday's 56-20 romp of Towson.