Men’s tennis coach leaves for Arizona State

Matt Hill
SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Coming off the best three-year stretch of men’s tennis at USF that included three consecutive AAC championships and three trips to the NCAA Tournament, USF men’s tennis coach Matt Hill has resigned in favor of the same position at Arizona State University. 

Hill joined USF in June 2012 and through his recruitment of nationally ranked players such as Roberto Cid, Dominic Cotrone and Justin Roberts, the program began a steady rise that culminated with USF reaching No. 13 in the national rankings and Cid ranking No. 2 for singles players. 

Now, with the departure of Hill and four seniors including Cid and Cotrone, the team will have ground to make up if it wishes to continue its streak of conference championships. 

“Matt did an incredible job with our tennis program, both on and off the court, during his four years at USF,” USF Athletic Director Mark Harlan said in a release. 

“Matt is truly one of the bright young standouts in collegiate coaching … I spoke to the team this afternoon and pledged that we will find a great leader who will help them continue their push to be among the nation’s best.”

At Arizona State, Hill will be resurrecting the Sun Devils’ men’s tennis program after an eight-year absence. 

Jaleel Cousins makes Summer League roster

Former USF center Jaleel Cousins earned an opportunity to showcase his talent at the next level during the NBA Summer League after making the Dallas Mavericks’ roster.

Cousins, who averaged 8.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks over his senior season at USF, is one of three centers on the Mavericks’ 13-man roster. 

The 6-foot-11, 255-pound center has played in both of the teams’ first two games of the five-game schedule, averaging 1 point, 1 rebound and 1 steal over nine minutes. 

Cousins is the younger brother of Sacramento Kings All-Star center Demarcus Cousins.

Cousins and the Mavericks will play Charlotte today at 2 p.m. on NBA TV. The Mavericks’ summer league schedule concludes on Friday.

Williams debuts with Sun

Following a trade that sent former USF guard Courtney Williams from Phoenix to Connecticut for All-Star center Kelsey Bone, the recent USF graduate may be in for more playing time. 

Williams, who played five minutes or more in only two of her six games with the Mercury, saw 10 minutes on the court in an 86-83 victory over the Dallas Wings for the Sun on Saturday. 

In her time on the court, the rookie guard chipped in with five points, six rebounds and two assists.