Student body president and vice president officially sworn into office

After the inauguration ceremony Friday afternoon of student body president Chris Griffin and student body vice president Alec Waid, the group of students and staff dug into a cake. ORACLE PHOTO/MIKI SHINE

After months of campaigning and work, new student body president Chris Griffin and student body vice president Alec Waid were officially sworn into the positions Friday during a small ceremony.

With about 20 Student Government (SG) members and family members and Board of Trustee members filling the room, the ceremony focused on the ending of the old term and the welcoming of the new one.

Newly-elected Senate President Aladdin Hiba thanked the past SG leadership before looking to the future. Former student body president Andy Rodriguez, former student body vice president Michael Malanga and the incoming administration of Griffin and Waid shared these sentiments.

“As I’ve begun the transition, I realize the large task we have ahead of us,” Griffin said. “Every year, we see different challenges within (SG) and it is only with leaders who stand with a strong moral compass that allows us to continue to fight for our students. I’m excited to get to work alongside Alec next year because I know the two of us have some of the strongest morals around.”

As part of ending the 56th term of SG, former leaders and new leaders participated in the Passing the Flag ceremony. Malanga and Rodriguiz stood on one side of System President Judy Genshaft with Griffin and Waid on the other side. The line passed the SG flag along to symbolize the moving of power from one group to the next. ORACLE PHOTO/MIKI SHINE

Chief Justice Milton Llinas and Senior Justice Chelsea Lo met Griffin and Waid up on stage in order to swear the new SG leadership into office. ORACLE PHOTO/MIKI SHINE