QB Woulard waits for his chance with USF

Redshirt sophomore Asiantii Woulard, who redshirted his freshman year, aims to show USF his ability after missing another a year due to transfer rules. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

In three years at the collegiate level, redshirt sophomore Asiantii Woulard has never played a snap, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t ready to step into the spotlight, given the chance.

The two seasons he spent at UCLA before transferring to USF prior to the the 2015 season yielded no playing time for the 6-foot-3, 213-pound quarterback. Sitting behind Heisman candidate Brett Hundley after redshirting his freshman year, there wasn’t much room for Woulard as a Bruin.

“Obviously you always want to play, but I mean, I’m a patient guy,” Woulard told reporters following Saturday’s practice. “I just humble myself and realize it’s not my time and just keep working.

After arriving at USF, Woulard was once again forced to sit out due to transfer rules. Sitting on the sidelines during USF’s improbable run, Woulard found other ways to contribute.

“I felt like I was still a big part of it,” Woulard said of the 2015 season. “You can’t do much if your defense doesn’t see a look, so if we don’t have our (scout team) offense to run them and kind of simulate the other offense, we can’t really do what we want to do and make as many plays.”

Woulard is now in position to pressure the breakout star of 2015, Quinton Flowers.

USF rode the stellar play of Flowers en route to its first bowl appearance since 2011, losing to Western Kentucky 45-35 on Dec. 26. But Woulard, who is arguably a stronger passer while maintaining the ability to run, is lurking.

“Watching Quinton play, his ability to breakdown defenses — initially with his arm or, if everything’s covered, make a defense really pay with his feet — it’s really interesting to see because not a lot of people have that talent,” sophomore quarterback Brett Kean said.

“Asiantii has an amazing arm and his ability to read the defenses is really awesome.”

Coach Willie Taggart insists that Woulard is battling for the No. 2 quarterback spot with teammate Brett Kean, but, although unproven, the former four-star recruit has the looks of a starter.

“Quinton (Flowers) is our starter, so obviously we’re here to push him and everyone’s competing for a spot,” Woulard said. “Us three are just out there raising the level of competition and just making each other better. We don’t really speak too much about who’s going to start.”

At the time of Woulard’s recent commitment to USF — he was a commit, prior to former USF coach Skip Holtz’ dismissal — former USF quarterback Mike White had just transferred and Flowers had yet to emerge.

The open spot on the depth chart, paired with the proximity to his hometown of Winter Park, made for an easy choice when looking at prospective landing spots to reignite his career.

“There were a few options,” Woulard said. “I spoke with a few coaches. I’d rather not mention them, but USF was the obvious choice for me, being that I was already comfortable with the staff, familiar with them coming out of (Winter Park) high school, close to home, so it was just the ideal situation. I got to be back around family.

“It’s not so much that it didn’t work (at UCLA), but I just hated being so far away from family. It was a great situation, but at the end of the day, family’s what’s important.”

With an extra year of eligibility over Flowers, Woulard will most likely get his chance. For now, he is just biding his time.

“You can’t rush anything,” Woulard said. “So I think when it’s time, it’s time, and it’ll come when it’s my time.”