EDITORIAL: Millennials cry out for political revolution

Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders won Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary, demonstrating the frustrated nature of millennial voters craving a revolution from a lackluster government.

While slightly more-traditional candidates — Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Hillary Clinton — are expected to be the ultimate winners of the nomination, the overwhelming voter turnout is throwing the polls out the window. 

In New Hampshire, Trump, who is considered a radical conservative, received 38 percent of the millennial vote, according to an exit poll taken by CNN. 

This number far exceeds the other candidates. Cruz received the second largest millennial vote with 17 percent and Rubio placed third with 12 percent.

Bernie Sanders also obtained the millennial support and received 83 percent of the 18- to 29-year-old Democratic vote. In contrast, only 16 percent of young voters gave their support to Hillary Clinton.  

Our generation has officially become the largest group in the country and has the power to determine an election. If the 75.3 million millennials recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau were to come out and vote we would, without a doubt, sway the election. 

That fact is terrifying to many politicians who are struggling to capture the younger vote. They fail to grasp exactly what our generation is searching for in a candidate: radical authenticity.

We grew up with George W. Bush, who in his eight years in office, had both the highest and the lowest public approval rating in history. He united a country and then watched as it divided. 

Barack Obama then took office under the promise of change. That promise gained him 66 percent of the millennial vote. While we were by no means the largest voting group, we did play a key role in getting Obama into office. 

However, as years passed we became increasingly frustrated with the depressing, nonproductive decisions made by our government. Obama had severe difficulty getting any of his ideas passed, the government literally shutdown in 2013 and politicians began to vehemently refuse to cross the aisle to get necessary legislation passed.

For our entire lives, we have witnessed the repercussions of a stalemate government. Now that we are able to vote, we are actively showing our dissatisfaction. Hence the overwhelming support for what the rest of America considers to be radical candidates.

Trump will be holding a political rally at USF Friday. While many attendees may disagree with his extreme views and frequent insulting comments, there are students who are in full support of his protocol-dodging campaign.

Will the Sun Dome be full Friday night? Only time tell. However, Danielle McDonald, the Dean of Students at USF, sent an email Wednesday to all students reminding them to be respectful of other people’s beliefs and encouraging them to continue to be politically engaged.

USF is full of students who are passionate about their political beliefs. Groups meet to watch each debate, Bernie stickers are tacked on bulletin boards across campus and some students have even planned protests for the upcoming Trump rally. 

We recognize that the elected president will heavily impact our future, and because of that we are no longer remaining passive. Do all students support such radical candidates? No. There are several pro-Clinton, -Cruz and -Rubio groups on campus.

However, polls are showing our generation unified in support of these two revolutionary candidates. Their ideas could not be more different, but the candidates are ultimately the same. They say what they think and back up what they say with years of corresponding actions. 

Congratulations, Trump and Sanders. Though you will undoubtedly face extreme opposition in the White House, it appears as if millennials will do everything in their power to get you the presidency.