Pair of Bulls headed to Women’s World Cup

Junior Diana Saenz and former Bull Cristin Granados will play for Costa Rica on Tuesday when they begin play in the Women’s World Cup in Canada. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Diana Saenz has gone from scoring her first career goal in the Bulls’ first round NCAA Tournament game to making the Costa Rica national team, which will compete Tuesday in the Women’s World Cup in Canada. 

The 5-foot-1 defender came to USF from San Jose, Costa Rica, and played in 19 games in her freshman season in 2012.

Saenz, now a junior, played in 17 games for the Bulls in the 2014 season while splitting time with the Costa Rica Full National Team.

“It’s so amazing to think about Diana Saenz being in the World Cup,” Schilte-Brown said in a statement. “She’s already brought so much experience to our team because she’s been with her national team since she was very young.  She’s played the United States multiple times and she’s been in the international arena probably more than any athlete I’ve ever coached in the history of my career.”

Joining Saenz on the team is former Bull Cristin Granados. 

Granados, 25, also played for the Costa Rica National Team in college. She played for VCU for two years before coming to USF for her senior season, in which she was named Second Team All-Conference and scored six goals. 

Costa Rica will begin play Tuesday at 4 p.m. when its matches up against Spain at Olympic Stadium, Montreal. 

Taggart adds linebacker
over weekend

Coach Willie Taggart hosted a one-day camp Saturday for local recruits which featured Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan coaching staff. 

By the time the day was up, Defensive Coordinator Tom Allen had added another linebacker to the Bulls’ 2016 class.

According to rivals.com, Paul Dawson of Sebastian River (Fla.) earned an offer Saturday and followed up with a commitment.

“I felt like USF was a good fit for me academically and playing wise. I found out they are only taking two linebackers in this class too and that one starter is done after this year,” Dawson said in an interview with rivals.com. “It seemed like it was a chance for me to shine in the green and gold.”

Dawson is unranked on rivals.com, but had offers from Miami, Pittsburgh, FIU, FAU and Georgia Southern.

“I was going to go up to GSU, but I don’t think I will now since I’ve already found my new home,” he said.

Two more USF kick times announced 

USF will begin the season under the lights when it hosts the Florida A&M Rattlers on Sept. 5 at 7 at Raymond James Stadium.

The AAC announced this kick time Friday along with the Bulls’ conference-opening game against Memphis, which is set for Friday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. in Tampa. 

The Bulls’ game against Florida A&M can be seen on ESPN3 and their game against Memphis will be broadcast on ESPN2.