A thrifty Bull’s guide to a day on the town

There is nothing fun about being stuck on campus or in the dorm because funds are low and everything entertaining is expensive. But being a USF student may be just enough to bring entertainment and good food into your price range.

For just the flash of a USF ID, many local stores and restaurants offer discounts, many of which go beyond free fries at McDonald's. 

Beginning the day:

An early morning Bull would be glad to hear that Village Inn Pancake House and Denny’s offer a 10 percent discount with ID. For those who like coffee first thing, Dunkin’ Donuts and Sacred Grounds coffee house both offer 10 percent off, with Dunkin’ also giving out a free donut for the purchase of a medium coffee. 

Morning fun:

With breakfast checked off the to-do list, the morning is looking productive already, and a few places around the university offer discounts for shopping and services. Girls (and confident guys) might consider treating themselves to a mani-pedi at Nail Trap, where students can get 10 percent off a service total of $35.

If your to-do list doesn’t allow for a lot of self-pampering, you might consider stopping by MIT Computers. Here students get 10 percent off labor costs, and a working computer will definitely be handy when it’s time to take that last class online or type up that term paper. For the cosmetically minded, Attitude Plus Barber and Beauty gives Bulls $10 haircuts.

For some great all-day fun, Busch Gardens offers USF students $50 all-year passes with blackout dates. One trip will more than pay for the ticket, as one-day tickets for non-students is 1.5 times as much. The discount is also perfect if a whole group of dormmates want to spend the day riding rollercoasters and going back through the food line with one all-day-eat pass.

Mid-day food:

When lunch time rolls around, the last thing most students want to do is fork over a ton of cash for a child’s size helping of food off campus. Instead, try CDB’s Pizza, where students get 15 percent off.

Alternatively, for the fast-food loving health enthusiast, EVOS provides a 12 percent discount.

Afternoon:

Matinees are a great way to spend the afternoon, and AMC Theaters sell $7 tickets on Thursdays as well as discount student tickets all year round, with ID. If hitting the waves is your thing, stop by Fly-b-High Wave Runners, Inc. for 15 percent off equipment rentals, just don’t forget the sunscreen.

But for those with other priorities, Mega Express Lube offers a full service oil change for $19.95 and Dianes Hi Glow Paint Body Shop will take 10 percent off services, just for being a Bull.

Evening fare:

As the night progresses, one’s stomach may begin to growl, but have no fear. Spaghetti Warehouse boasts 15 percent off for USF students, and who doesn’t love some pasta? Or if you’re in the mood for Japanese cuisine, Sake House gives 10 percent off to Bulls with valid ID.

Nighttime entertainment:

Anyone could spend the evening in Ybor or sitting in the dorm doing homework, but the smart Bull will head over to Side Splitters Comedy Club with a friend to take advantage of the USF 2-for-1 discount. 

You Do the Dishes also boasts a USF discount, offering students an $8 rate Thursday nights from 7 p.m. until 10.