New-look Bulls set for spring game

Sophomore quarterback Quinton Flowers will start for the White team in another quarterback battle. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Following an offseason during which the USF football team not only underwent several coaching changes, but also implemented a change in offensive and defensive schemes, the new product will finally be put on display Saturday at 4 p.m. when the Bulls play their spring game at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

The Bulls will be split into two teams, the Green team and the White team. The coaches, defensive coordinator Tom Allen and special teams coach Stu Holt, held a draft last weekend to determine the roster.

The Green team, coached by Allen, focused mostly on defense.  The team’s secondary features starters senior Jamie Byrd, junior Nate Godwin and junior Johnny Ward. Allen picked up quarterbacks Mike White and Steven Bench along with tight end Sean Price and running back Marlon Mack as his key players on offense.

Highlighting the White team is one of the most intriguing players on the roster, Quinton Flowers. The sophomore was ranked a three-star, dual-threat quarterback coming into college, but started in only one game last season and threw for 105 yards and rushed for 33. 

Flowers will be throwing to top-returning wide receiver Rodney Adams, along with A.J. Legree and Ryshene Bronson. Junior Darius Tice will get the start at running back.  

Prior to the game, a USF student tailgate will be held outside the east gate of Corbett Stadium. The Bulls Club Champion Seating Program will have a tailgate inside the northwest corner of the stadium. Food and beverages will be available for purchase. Both tailgates will begin at 2:30 and parking on the east end of the USF campus will be free. 

Ten minutes after the tailgates kick off, the USF Alumni Game will begin in Corbett Stadium. This flag football game will feature NFL players Sam Barrington, Kayvon Webster and B.J. Daniels and last until 3 p.m.

Bulls’ Pro Day

USF will host its Pro Day today at the Frank Morsani Football Complex at 1 p.m. The event is only open to the media, but practice, which lasts from 9-10:45 a.m., is open to the public. 

The Bulls will have almost 30 players participating in their Pro Day. Standout seniors who will be present include Andre Davis, Reshard Cliett, Austin Reiter, Mike McFarland, Marvin Kloss and Chris Dunkley.

Williams receives more recognition 

The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) named junior guard Courtney Williams as an All-American nominee as part of the All-Region team on Wednesday.

This is Williams’ second year as a nominee for the honor. 

The Bulls’ star guard scored an average of 20.3 points and grabbed 7.5 rebounds per game in her 35 starts. 

The WBCA Division I Coaches’ All-America team will be announced April 4 at 1:10 p.m.