Two coaches hired for 2015 season

After USF concluded its second consecutive losing season under coach Willie Taggart, the school announced three coaches would not return for the 2015 season. 

On Dec. 8, defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan, offensive coordinator Paul Wulff and defensive backs coach Ron Cooper were relieved of their duties. 

The Bulls lost a fourth coach when former running backs coach Telly Lockette accepted the same job at Oregon State on Dec. 31. 

USF has since hired two coaches, a co-offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator, and switched up play-calling responsibilities in an attempt to turn the team around. 

More coaches will likely join the Bulls’ staff during the remainder of the offseason. 

Co-offensive coordinator 

USF hired former Purdue coach Danny Hope to fill the void left by Wulff. Hope, who has 34 years of coaching experience, will coach the offensive line along with his responsibilities as co-offensive coordinator. 

The offensive coordinator position was formerly held by one person, but the job will now be split into two parts, with Hope covering the running game and former quarterbacks coach David Reaves handling the passing game. 

An assistant coach with four different programs, Hope has twice been named one of the top recruiters in the nation by Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report. 

Hope coached for seven combined seasons at Eastern Kentucky and Purdue, compiling a 57-49 record. 

Despite being hired as an offensive coordinator, Hope will not be relied on to call plays this season. Taggart has decided to reassume control of play-calling responsibilities as he did in 2013, his first season with USF. 

Defensive coordinator 

USF replaced Bresnahan with former Ole Miss linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Tom Allen.

In 2014, Ole Miss led the nation in scoring defense, giving up an average of 13.8 points per game. The Rebels finished the season ranked in the top 20 teams in the nation for 11 different defensive categories. 

Allen began his 23-year career as the coach of Temple Heights High School in 1992. Since then, he has coached with five different collegiate programs, serving as an assistant coach, defensive coordinator, linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. 

Allen will assume all duties and responsibilities that Bresnahan held.