Bulls’ fouls allow Bama to coast to victory

Corey Allen Jr. led all USF players in scoring with 16 points, despite being limited to only 23 minutes due to early foul trouble. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

USF (5-2) has struggled with fouls recently, allowing an average of 32 free throw attempts over the past four games, which made it difficult for the Bulls to keep up with Alabama (5-1) in a 82-71 loss Tuesday in Tuscaloosa. 

Not only did the men’s basketball team foul often Tuesday night, but the fouls also came early, forcing coach Orlando Antigua to sit two of his starters earlier than usual. 

Junior guard Nehemias Morillo and senior guard Corey Allen Jr. were both limited to only 23 minutes on the court because of their foul troubles. Morillo fouled out of the game with 8:33 remaining on a charge and Allen ended the game with four fouls. 

Even though the guards were limited in their time on the court, they ended up being the two leading scorers for the Bulls. Allen had 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting and Morillo had 13 points on 4-of-9
shooting. 

With the Bulls’ two leading scorers on the bench for most of the first half, the Crimson Tide was able to dominate the game from the start, despite a poor 3-point shooting performance. 

Alabama made only eight of 25 3-pointers and was outshot by USF for the game, but it was able to take advantage of the free throw attempts it was given for the Bulls’ excessive fouls. Alabama made 20 of 25 free throws, compared to the Bulls’ 9-of-19 mark.

After leading by 11 at halftime, Alabama coasted through most of the second half, with USF only able to cut the deficit to eight.

USF will continue its road trip with a visit to Michigan to play Detroit (5-3) on Saturday at 3 p.m.