SigDelt hosts benefit to prevent child abuse

The Gamma Eta chapter of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority is hosting its annual Putting on the Hits philanthropy event to benefit Prevent Child Abuse America, a nonprofit organization.

Putting on the Hits, an event that has been hosted by SigDelt for the last 24 years, is a lip-syncing and dancing competition in which different Greek organizations on campus compete against each other. 

All of the money raised from admission to the event goes to Prevent Child Abuse America, and the event has given over $100,000 to the organization over the last five years, according to the sorority. This year SigDelt aims to raise $50,000 for the organization through the event.

Prevent Child Abuse America, founded in 1972, works with 600 families across all 50 states to promote healthy childhood development and advocate for a national framework to prevent instances of abuse and neglect.

SigDelt works with the organization on a national level and each chapter is responsible for a philanthropy event to raise funds. 

According to the SigDelt national website, the sorority as a whole raised $254,925 for Prevent Child Abuse America, and the USF Gamma Eta chapter raised a total of $45,000 during the 2013-2014 academic year.

Leading up to the event, SigDelt completed several service projects to raise awareness for the organization and the event itself included a donation car wash, which was held on Veteran’s Day.

The 25th Annual Putting on the Hits event will take place in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom at 6:30 p.m. this evening. Ballroom seats are $10 each and are first come, first serve. The event will also be screened in the Oval Theater for $7 each.