Jo Koy: anything but coy at Stampede Comedy Show

ORACLE PHOTO/ ADAM MATHIEU

Comedian Jo Koy took the stage to the roars of cheers and laughter from a packed Sun Dome on Tuesday night as part of the Homecoming Stampede Comedy show.

Koy’s walk on stage was accompanied by Drake’s “Trophies,” pretending to sing along, mumbling and making noises as the song went on.

“My son has been saying the same lyrics since he was a year and a half,” Koy said. “You need to pay my son, Drake.”

Throughout the show, Koy did a number of the racial impressions that he is known for and picked out students in the audience to poke fun at. When Koy found out one student, Mario, was Puerto Rican he went on a 15 minute tirade about Puerto Ricans.

“Puerto Rican men have the sexiest accents,” Koy said. “I’m not gay, but their Puerto Rican accent will make you gay for a minute.”

Most of Koy’s routine centered around racial stereotypes, but as the show progressed, Koy turned more toward the comedy he’s found in his family life and the challenges he faces as the father of a preteen boy, from using deodorant to getting his son to clean his room.

“He doesn’t brush his teeth, ever,” Koy said, referring to his son, Jo. “I taught him how to brush his teeth for 11 years and if he doesn’t want to brush his teeth, f— it, Jo, I’m done!”

He also talked about the differences between his son and his friends’ daughters around the same age. After seeing his friend’s daughter “sneeze glitter,” he lamented how less polite his son is.

“When my son sneezes, he doesn’t even know he’s going to sneeze,” Koy said. “His face just explodes.”

For a moment, Koy got introspective about being on the road and not being able to see his son as much as he would like to, but after a brief pause, he got back to doing what he does best.

Koy told the audience about how he rented out a paintball arena for his son’s birthday and got excited when he realized he could abuse his son without consequence.

“And the cops can’t do s—, because he signed that waiver,” Koy said. “I was going to f— my son up!”

Koy’s set was full of sex and profanity that kept students audibly entertained throughout. He ended the night talking about lovemaking songs and some of his favorites, namely old-school R&B such as Boyz II Men.

“I want to take selfies with everyone,” Koy said to the crowd. “I’ll be at Gate D at the end of the show, but we’re using your phone.”

Koy was joined by Florida comedians Mike Charette, James Ponce and the night’s MC Krishna Reddy, a USF biomedical sciences graduate student.

Delaney Kelly, a freshman majoring in business, said she was glad she attended Tuesday’s show and said her favorite acts were Ponce and Koy.

“My favorite part was when (Ponce) was making the sign language woman say bad words,” she said. “I couldn’t stop laughing.”

Koy currently has an ongoing podcast and said he is working on his routine in the hopes of doing a new comedy special, but didn’t specify when it would be coming out. Koy’s performance cost $25,000.