USF shoots for third straight win

Junior goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic has allowed only one goal in the past two games for the Bulls.
ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

After notching two consecutive wins against Portland and 24th ranked Akron, the Bulls will hope to push their streak to three games when they play Old Dominion on Friday.

The Bulls (2-1) opened the season with a 2-0 loss against Florida Gulf Coast University, but have since been able to edge out their opponents on the foot of senior midfielder Lucas Baldin who has scored three of USF’s four goals in its last two games, including the game-winner against Akron.

Baldin was named AAC Offensive Player of the Week after taking seven shots and scoring three goals in two games last week.

The Bulls look to carry their momentum into this week whe they travel to play against Old Dominion (1-3-1). 

While Old Dominion doesn’t have a high-scoring offense — scoring only three goals through five games — it has locked down other teams so far this season. After allowing six goals in their opening game, the Monarchs have held their opponents to one or fewer goals in each of their past four games.

The Bulls have had success in keeping their opponents off the scoreboard this season, only allowing an average of one goal per game. This is partly because of junior goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic’s ability to defend the net, allowing only three goals on 28 shots.

By allowing only one goal — a penalty kick — as well as accumulating four saves, Stefanovic was named the AAC Goalkeeper of the Week. Stefanovic also recorded his first career shutout in a 2-0 win against Portland, giving him a .45 goals against average for the week.

The Bulls will look to continue their trend of shooting early and often in their matchup against Old Dominion. USF has outshot their opponents 25-9 in the first half of games this season.

The Bulls’ matchup against Old Dominion is Friday at 7 p.m. on the road.