USF shuts out Portland

Senior midfielder Lucas Baldin scored his third goal in the past two games on Sunday.
ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The USF men’s soccer team was able to secure its second consecutive victory of the season, defeating Portland 2-0 on Sunday. 

USF had nine shots on goal in the first half, but couldn’t take advantage of opportunities until later in the game. 

The Bulls kept attacking Portland and were able to score in the 62nd minute, courtesy of senior forward Kennedy Selorm Adablah’s first goal of the season. 

Adablah’s goal would be all USF would need to capture the victory as its defense shut out Portland. 

“I thought tactically we were very good and I was pleased with the leadership and how good we were defensively,” coach George Kiefer said in a press release. 

The defense limited Portland to only seven shots on goal for the game compared to the Bulls’ 19. 

Junior goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic only had to make one save Sunday in his first career shutout. 

Senior midfielder Lucas Baldin added the second goal of the day for the Bulls in the final minute of play. Baldin has now scored three goals in his last two games. 

The Bulls’ second win of the season is a sign the team is settling in after losing the season opener. 

“I think the key is how they’re working for each other and helping each other,” Kiefer said. “You see a forward recover for a right midfielder defensively and they’re starting to get what it takes, which is good.”

USF has now won two games in a row and will look to extend its streak against Old Dominion on Friday.