Two key Bulls injured after Week 1

Following Saturday’s 36-31 victory over Western Carolina, the Bulls head out to practice with their heads held high, though they know the task ahead will be a much greater challenge.

As they open up practice in Week 2, the Bulls face the challenge of filling the voids that would be left if seniors Andre Davis and Thor Jozwiak are unable to play against Maryland on Saturday.

Davis, the Bulls’ leading receiver last year, bruised his sternum on a 44-yard completion that set up a field goal for Marvin Kloss in Saturday’s game. Davis is listed as day to day according to coach Willie Taggart who will evaluate him as the week progresses.

Davis’ 735 receiving yards last season were the most in a single season in USF history; a presence that will be difficult to replace.

Another blow to the USF offense was guard Thor Jozwiak who was taken to the locker room in the first half with a shoulder injury. Jozwiak later returned to the field in a sling and didn’t re-enter the game.

Jozwiak, who missed all of the 2013 season due to a heart condition, went in for an MRI on Tuesday evening, but the results have not yet been disclosed.

If Davis and Jozwiak are unable to play this week, USF coaches plan to lean on sophomore transfer Rodney Adams, who stepped up for USF hauling in three receptions for a team-high 67 yards in Saturday’s game, and senior Deonte Welch.

Redshirt freshman Cameron Ruff entered the game in Jozwiak’s absence and will be counted on to provide interior protection for freshman quarterback Mike White against a strong Maryland front four.