Gubernatorial debate comes to USF again

This fall, the debate between candidates for the next governor of Florida will take place on campus as USF will once again host the gubernatorial debate. 

Televised statewide, the debate will take place Oct. 7 in the USF Music Concert Hall before a live audience.

Hosted by the Tampa Bay Times and WTSP-10 News in partnership with USF, the debate will be sponsored by the AARP and will include candidates decided by the Aug. 26 primary results.

“USF has partnered with the Times in the past for several debates covering a variety of races,” USF Media and Public Affairs Coordinator Adam Freeman said. “We look forward to continuing that partnership.”

In 2010, the Times and USF hosted the U.S. Senate and gubernatorial debates on campus and then the Republican presidential primary debate in 2012. They also hosted the 1996 vice presidential debate.

During the 2012 primary debate, USF Student Government (SG) worked with the Times to set up several events to get students informed about the debate. 

“This will get students excited about the debate and civics,” newly elected student body president Jean Cocco said.

Cocco said SG will work to get students involved in the debate by reaching out to various organizations and will build awareness by requesting visits from spokespeople for the candidates prior to the debate.

“The Times believes that these debates are a great way to help voters learn about the candidates,” Times Editor Neil Brown said in an article on the Times website. “We look forward to a thoughtful, lively exchange about Florida’s future.”

– Staff report