Daniels to bring alumni back to USF with flag football, children’s clinic

USF coach Willie Taggart and the Bulls were paid a special visit at their practice last week when former USF quarterback B.J. Daniels dropped by with a pair of announcements.

Coming off a season where he was traded to the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks from the San Francisco 49ers, Daniels said he’s still waiting on his trip to the White House with the team before getting his ring.

“It was a blessing, and to win a Super Bowl to top (the season) off was something I couldn’t dream of, or even rewrite, if I had to write a story.” He said.

But in the meantime, Daniels announced his plans for an alumni flag football game at halftime of the USF Spring Game following his first football clinic at USF.

Fans will see some familiar faces in former USF players turned pro: Jason Pierre-Paul of the New York Giants, Terrell McClain of the Dallas Cowboys, Sam Barrington of the Green Bay Packers and Kayvon Webster of the Denver Broncos are all players that Daniels will try to bring back to Tampa.

“I figure I would give back to the community,” Daniels said. “We have a strong alumni base and its time to put it to work.“

Daniels also said that before the Green and White game Saturday at 4 p.m., he will host a football skills clinic for children at the Morsani Football Practice Complex that same morning from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The clinic will be free for children grades 2-8 and registration begins March 29 at the Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center.

Daniels finished his career at USF second in total offense (10,051) and touchdown passes (52). Known for his mobility, the fourth leading rusher in USF history ended his senior year, and career as a Bull, in the fourth to last game of the season against UConn when he went down with a broken ankle.

Now, after what he described as a “whirlwind” of a season, Daniels said his ankle is fine and he will be compete for the No. 2 spot at quarterback behind Russell Wilson this offseason.

“Finally all the hard work I’m putting in is starting to pay off,” Daniels said. “The biggest thing is I have an opportunity to be a positive influence and help out my parents and my family financially. That’s very important to me and I’m glad I’m in the position to help them out the way they’ve been extending their hand to me. “

Reporting by Adam Fenster