Runoff voting begins today

Today marks the first day of voting in a runoff election between Brandi Arnold and Jean Cocco for the position of student body president.

Voting, which will continue today and close Wednesday at 8 p.m. after neither candidate earned more than 51 percent of the total vote during last week’s election, is open at usf.edu/vote. While students can vote on their own anytime online, Student Government (SG) will also have a polling station set up outside the Marshall Student Center, Supervisor of Elections Sayf Hassouneh said via email.

Hassouneh declined further interview with The Oracle.

Arnold, a junior majoring in business management and communications, is executive director for the Campus Traditions Board in the Center for Student Involvement and campaigning with vice-presidential candidate Shaheen Nouri, a junior majoring in political science and philosophy.

Cocco, a senior majoring in international studies and political science, is chair of the SG University, Community and Government Affairs committee and campaigning with Rhondel Whyte, a senior majoring in electrical engineering.

The runoff election will also contain choices for the 25th SG Senate seat for the College of Arts and Sciences. This is between Luis Monsalve and Roshard Williams.

To date, Cocco has been assessed with two minor violations for his campaign from the Election Rules Commission and Arnold has not received any. 

If either candidate receives three minor violations or one major violation, the candidate will be disqualified from the election. Cocco said he is appealing his violations to the SG Supreme Court.

Others grievances have been reported, but SG has yet to produce additional public records requested by The Oracle last week.