New USF Health senior vice president announced

After a close to seven-month search, Dr. Charles Lockwood, dean of Ohio State’s College of Medicine, has been named senior vice president for USF Health and dean for the Morsani College of Medicine. 

Lockwood, who will begin at USF on May 5, will lead USF Health after Dr. Stephen Klasko, who had led USF Health since its formation in 2004, left in September to serve as president and CEO of Thomas Jefferson University and the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital System.

Lockwood, who is also a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, formerly worked at Yale, New York University, Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Tufts in the departments of obstetrics and gynecology, serving as chair at NYU and acting director of the Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center. His research centers around pregnancy loss, preterm delivery and maternal thrombosis. 

“The University of South Florida System is thrilled to welcome an individual of Dr. Lockwood’s national standing to lead USF Health as we continue to provide leading-edge health education and care,” USF President Judy Genshaft said in a press release. “Dr. Lockwood is not only an innovative medical educator, but he is an accomplished researcher and entrepreneurial thinker who will be a leader for our region, state and nation.

Lockwood will earn $775,000 a year, according to the Tampa Bay Times, and will receive a one-time startup bonus of $80,000 and be eligible for a performance bonus of $155,000.

– Staff report