Increase in Homecoming fund is contradictory

This year, the Homecoming Steering Committee saw a more than $10,000 increase in its budget, totaling $418,229 plus a $42,400 grant. This year, the university also aims to reduce spending by $12 million, $9 million of which is coming from Academic Affairs and support units.

USF President Judy Genshaft asked the Homecoming committee to make Homecoming week more memorable and the university should focus on improving it. Since July, Genshaft has referred to spending reductions as the “new normal.”

On one hand, the university seems to promote student involvement and interest in the university. On the other hand, there seems to be an ongoing trend of taking away from the core of the university —
academics.

While students are bound to enjoy Homecoming parties, traditions and performances, they don’t come to campus for fun time. Students come to campus to go to class, study and get the education they are paying an average of $20,000 per year in total cost of living.

It’s nice that more focus is being put on students, but it is absolutely meaningless when the education they come to campus for suffers
repeated blows.

In the long run, it won’t be better concerts, such as Wiz Khalifa’s, that will make students appreciate the degrees they work on at USF. It will be the skills and experiences
from their education that makes the difference.

However, when the quality of education is continually threatened by “draconian” budget cuts, it is the students who suffer.

Earlier this semester, students showed their dedication to their education by
protesting the reduction in Library hours. There was no tradition or entertainment that drew students to the all-night protests; they did it because they knew their education was at stake.

University entities, both administration and Student Government, should work toward figuring out ways to overcome hard financial times, not use what funds there are to throw a party during Homecoming week.

Innovative solutions need to be found, budgets need to be reallocated and the university needs to refocus.

While student participation and interest in campus events is essential to student success, it is the building of quality education that really makes students successful; an education that encompasses quality instructors, curricula and classrooms — not Wiz Khalifa and a goofy mascot.