Rocky 5-0 in mascot challenge

While the USF football team is struggling to make a positive impression across the nation, USF mascot Rocky D. Bull is undefeated (5-0) in the Capital One Bowl Mascot Challenge.

After narrowly escaping with victories in Weeks 1 through 4, with no higher than 58 percent of the vote in any contest, Rocky appears to be reaching his prime following a demolition of Boston College’s Baldwin the Eagle.

Rocky collected 96 percent of the vote over Baldwin and carries a stampede of momentum into Week 6 with 75 percent of the vote over Wisconsin’s Bucky Badger as of Monday night.

The Capital One Bowl Mascot Challenge is a contest based strictly on votes for popular collegiate mascots. Last year’s winner of the challenge won a $20,000 grant.

Rocky has already left behind prestigious athletic universities in his path of destruction. Wins over Michigan State’s Sparty and LSU’s Mike the Tiger have set the tone among mascot competitors halfway through the season.

The feat is even more impressive when considering Michigan State and LSU are two schools that pack upward of 70,000 people in their respective football stadiums, compared to USF’s roughly 15,000 at Raymond James Stadium last week.

Rocky is in second place behind East Carolina’s Peedee the Pirate. The USF fan base seems to love Rocky.

— Staff report