From boos to applause

Up-and-coming comedian and aspiring actor Ron G, best known for competing in the Bill Bellamy TV series, “Who’s Got Jokes?” and the sixth season of NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” performed at Bulls Nite Out last Friday.

In a telephone interview with The Oracle, Ron G talked about his journey in
comedy, his performances and his future plans.

The Oracle: What sparked your interest in comedy?

Ron G: I went through what I’d call a quarter-life crisis. I went to school, I got a dual degree in finance and management and I was an accountant for a while. I got fired from every job I’ve ever had. I was trying to figure out my purpose in life and my cousin, who was a comic in Atlanta, was like, (Dude, you’re hilarious. Have you ever thought about doing stand-up?) And I was like, (Uh, I never thought about it.) I got onstage one day and I tried it. I got booed and I fell in love.

O: What made you want to keep doing comedy after getting booed?

RG: They told me to kill myself, which is very painful. The booing is not that bad, but the killing yourself? That can really hurt your self-esteem. But for some reason, I just fell in love with the art of it. Stand-up is a real art and craft. I got addicted to the art of learning how to be funny onstage.

O: How do you find your material?

RG: A lot of it falls in my lap because I’m from the South. Dating in Los Angeles is weird. It’s just my southern upbringing. It’s totally
different from how it is up here. And my family is totally crazy so it just kind of falls in my lap.

O: What’s the thing you enjoy most when performing?

RG: I love traveling. I love meeting new people. And there is something really dope about coming up with a new joke and saying it onstage, and the next thing you know, it’s on TV and people across the nation are saying something that you just came up with in your head. That’s the best feeling in the world. Like, people like my thoughts!

O: Is there even a bad part about performing?

RG: It’s stressful. You’ve got the highs and lows. The nervousness. You’ve got to deal with people telling you what kind of joke you should say. I’m also an actor as well, so if I have a bad day and bomb two auditions, or a bad day in my dating life I have to get onstage and act like nothing happened. It’s a little tough, but I’ve done it for so long I’ve mastered it.

O: Do you like comedy more than acting?

RG: Well, comedy will always be my first love. But acting is like my new love. It’s a new thing where, basically, it gets me where I need to be. I need to master acting and I’ve actually done really well. I just booked a TV show called “Love That Girl!”… But it’s a different kind of process. I’m well known in the comedy world but I’m a nobody in the acting world.

O: Do you get stage fright?

RG: The only time I get nervous are at comedy clubs where people are hanging out or sitting down and people are looking at me like, ‘Hey, you gonna go up next?’ I get a little panic attack like, ‘Oh my god, oh my god.’ Then I’ll be fine. Now, I don’t really get nervous. I have a little anxiety. I shot a TV show last week and I had to go on at 3 p.m. I didn’t go onstage until after 10 p.m. So just waiting around for seven hours? It does something to your nerves.

O: Have any big plans for your stand-up future?

RG: I booked a TV show, which I’m not allowed to say just yet. And I got two
comedy shows that are coming out.